Coming Soon to a Barony Near You! (was: Re: [Sca-cooks] ghee)

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Wed Sep 5 22:03:55 PDT 2001

Rose asked:
> Hello Stefan!  Our acting troup is heading down to
> Austin for the commedia festival next week.  I
> understand Central Market gives tours -- are there any
> other hot tourist spots we should hit?

I didn't know that Central Market gives tours but they have what
sound like some interesting cooking classes, so maybe so. The tours
may not be at an hour that is convenient to you. Even if they are,
I would try to schedule some time just to go in and look around. I know
you will be constrained by the amount of space you have in your luggage,
but you can easily run up quite a bill on just the little stuff there.

There cheese section is wonderful, but California may have even more.
Lots of good sauces, pastas and such. Also a wonderful fresh fruit
section. You probably can't take those back to California, but you
could buy some to eat here. Also a nice selection of freshly squeezed
juices. That's is where I'll be going to be fresh squeezed, non-
pasturized apple juice the next time I want to try to make cider.

I can't think of any other foodie type tourist attractions right
now.

There's Hippie Hollow, the clothing optional swimming park near
Lake Travis for different sights.

And of course the usual tourist things, the State Capital building,
the new Texas museum, the Univ. of Texas campus.

Email me with what part of town you will be staying in and what
transporation you will have, your time constraints and any particular
interests and I will see what I can come up with.

With the same info and an idea of what kinds of food you might
like, I can also make some recommendations on that, although mostly
the cheaper ethnic places as I don't frequent the high-priced,
hoity-toity ones. The Texas Chili Parlor would be a good one if
you wanted to try some Texas chili and it is centrally located.

Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net