[Sca-cooks] Tongue

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 6 09:44:42 PDT 2001

Robin Carroll-Mann <rcmann4 at earthlink.net> wrote:
>Granado has some recipes for cow's tongue pastries -- an
>empanada and another in puff pastry.  They're boiled, then baked in
>the pie with bacon and spices.  He also has some recipes for calf's
>tongue -- stuffed with meat, cheese, bacons, eggs, and garlic, and
>then roasted; and a couple of stews.  I don't have time to translate
>them right now, but could do so when I get back from my vacation,
>if you're interested and can wait until then.
>
>Oh, but you want no pork.  Sorry, none of these qualify.  :-(

I would love to see the recipes *when you have the time*.

Given that i have lots of recipes that call for the inclusion of
bacon, i've been thinking of using a non-pork bacon. Yes, not period,
but there are several SCAdians who come to this event who keep
somewhat Kosher and i want to make sure that they can eat most of the
dishes. I realize that non-pork bacon is not what is called for in
the recipes, but i'm willing to compromise a bit.

I'm trying to keep this mostly late period German - although i am
considering a few earlier English recipes as well - and fall to
winter type vegetables, and it seems that bacon or pork fat or lard
is included in many of the recipes that i find appealing. The flavor
would be very different with no bacon at all, so i'm willing to try
turkey bacon (i didn't care for beef bacon i've had).

Anahita / Subaytila