[Sca-cooks] food differences

Pixel, Goddess and Queen pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com
Fri Sep 7 08:04:26 PDT 2001

On Fri, 7 Sep 2001, Jennifer Thompson wrote:

> I know that almost all of the sodas in the grocery store here have corn
> syrup because periodically the Dr Pepper Plant in Waco, south of here, will
> make a special batch of DP with Imperial Cane Sugar. It's a big deal to the
> guys and they all go off on pilgrimage to get what they can and treat it
> like Single Malt Scotch. To be savored in the company of those who
> appreciate such things and not swilled with the gang.

I have been told it has to do with the Canadian sugar lobby, or possibly
it's the US corn lobby. Canadian soda has to have sugar in it.

OTOH, apparently in Canada (and hopefully one of the Canadians on the list
can correct me if I'm wrong--Faerisa?) if the soda has caffiene in it, it
also has to be cola. So Canadian Mt. Dew is unleaded. Blech.

> I can taste the difference; I just don't get all excited about it. On the
> other hand, we were discussing baby blankets on the list and a New Zealander
> was astonished to hear that we wouldn't consider wool for a baby blankie
> because it was harsh. So she sent us some of her wool. Huuuuge difference.
> NZ wool really is as soft as cotton, or at least the stuff from her was.
> Sparked a big conversation on possible causes - differences in combing,
> diet, breed. She says it's because they love their sheep. 8-)

Or we use nastier chemicals when dissolving the VM out of the wool.

> Lann (not participating in the exchange because I can't think of anything
> truly regional. Adamantius has Ro-Tel in New Yawk, and the Two Fat Ladies
> were using Tabasco (the real thing, not just "hot pepper sauce") last week.)

I don't know what I'd send, either, except lutefisk, and it's not in
season yet. Wild rice is pretty available these days, too. Maybe people
would want Nut Goodies (it's a maple nut chocolate covered candy thing),
since Kemp's Sweet Martha's Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Ice Cream just
won't travel well. ;-) [Kemps. It's the cows.]

Margaret FitzWilliam, with doughnut-induced punchiness