[Sca-cooks] food differences

Rob Downie rdownie at icenter.net
Fri Sep 7 14:51:58 PDT 2001

I couln't say for sure, But I wold suspect the use of sugar vs. corn syrup would
be cost related.  Sugar is produced locally here on a much larger scale than corn
syrup.  Manitoba produces large amounts of sugarbeets, they're probably better
suited to the shorter growing season than corn.
Yes, there is an actual  Canadian law governing sodas that states any clear soda
cannot be caffeinated.  At least the parents of overly energetic children can tell
at a glance which soda is less likely to make their kids spin like the tasmanian
devil.

Faerisa

"Pixel, Goddess and Queen" wrote:
<snip>
I have been told it has to do with the Canadian sugar lobby, or possiblyit's the
US corn lobby. Canadian soda has to have sugar in it.OTOH, apparently in Canada
(and hopefully one of the Canadians on the listcan correct me if I'm
wrong--Faerisa?) if the soda has caffiene in it, it also has to be cola. So
Canadian Mt. Dew is unleaded. Blech.
Margaret FitzWilliam, with doughnut-induced punchiness