[Sca-cooks] Crown roast question.

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Fri Sep 7 09:03:36 PDT 2001

I am wondering if maybe it wasn't commonly served,
because after all it was mostly spit roasting
for meats. How do you put a crown roast on a spit
and roast it? If you're roasting a whole hog or
smaller pig, can you split the crown roast section
out after cooking to just serve that portion???? You
do see references and pictures of boars heads being
served of course, but offhand I can't recall a
reference to crown roasts. You might try looking
in the literature connected to butchering and meat
markets to see if there is any documented material on how meat was
properly cut up in ages past. I did check Pigs and Pork which
has a diagram for slicing up a whole pig from 1639, but
it's no help for the immediate question. Foodbooks.com is also
carrying The Pig: A British History By Julian Wiseman, but
I don't know if it goes into butchering or not.
 Johnnae llyn lewis
Johnna Holloway