[Sca-cooks] Evil Bookshop vortex OOP

Mark.S Harris mark.s.harris at motorola.com
Fri Sep 7 13:45:41 PDT 2001

Mari said:
> Having been sucked (kicking and screaming Of course :-p) in to a Bookshop by
> the Evil Lurking Vortex, I chanced upon a single remaindered copy of the
> book "Gingerbread : things to make and bake" by Layman & Morgenroth.

> Recipe reads -
>
> 6 3/4 cups flour
> 1 tablespoon cinnamon
> 1 1/2 teaspons ginger
> 1/2 teaspoon salt
> 1 1/2 cups light corn syrup
> 1 1/4 cups packed light brown sugar
> 1 cup margarine
> (All US measurements - !!Ooohh - I'll get to break in the measuring tools
> Olwen sent me :-p)
>
> Also - I've failed to keep any of the previous posts on Period gingerbread
> recipes [my bad - just didn't know I'd be needing it so soon]. I remember
> that Honey is involved.  Can someone possibly repost it to me?

That was going to be my comment. I don't think this gingerbread
recipe resembles a period gingerbread very much at all. More like
the modern gingerbread cakes.

For a lot more on period gingerbread recipes, most of which use
bread crumbs rather than flour and honey rather than corn syrup or
brown sugar, see this file in the FOOD-SWEETS section of the
Florilegium:
gingerbread-msg   (39K)  1/31/00    Medieval gingerbread. Recipes.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-SWEETS/gingerbread-msg.html

Stefan li Rous
stefan at texas.net