[Sca-cooks] Period food myths

Daniel Phelps phelpsd at gate.net
Fri Sep 7 13:55:04 PDT 2001

His Grace wrote:

>I'm not sure if these are offered as things that are period or are
>not

regards the list I posted, see below.

I wrote regards issues of period Vs. not and food items of possible
controversy, as in "everyone knows "X" is not period."

>>Just a few suggestions in no particular order:
>>
>>Tomato, melons (watermelon, Persian etc), allspice, various citrus fruit
>>(sweet oranges, grapefruit, lemons, limes, etc.), coconut, peanuts, sweet
>>potatoes and/or yams (yes I know that they are two different tubers but
many
>>don't), various nuts (ie. walnuts, filberts etc.) various berries,
>>(blueberry, raspberry etc.), types of booze (rum, flavored cordials etc.)
>>chocolate in its various avatars, various variations on cabbage (b***
>>sprouts, c***flower etc.), okra, orange carrots,  and beef jerky!!!

Just to go through the list and sort as I understand their periodicity for
Europe at the end of the 16th century.

Probably not: Tomatoes, allspice, sweet potatoes, macadamian nuts, and
chocolate as we know it

Possibly not: grapefruit, rum and orange carrots

What I did not incude are coffee and tea.  Anyone want to take a run at
them?

Daniel Raoul