[Sca-cooks] Six and counting

Tara tsersen at nni.com
Fri Sep 7 19:21:38 PDT 2001

> Here in Montana, you can marry without benefit of clergy, JP, or anyone
> 'officiating.'  It probably dates to the pioneer era when it could be 6
> months or more before seeing a clergy person.  When Brian and I married each
> other, we had the ceremony behind the Public Library in their gardens and
> then went to the courthouse a year later (procrastinators) and paid our $25
> to have it registered in a big old-fashioned ledger book at the County
> Courthouse downtown (we were #22).  Costs the same as a marriage license.

That was actually what Craig and I wanted to do.  It is also legal in PA
- it's a "Quaker" style wedding.  A legal officiant has to be present,
but doesn't do anything except sign the papers afterward.  Problem was,
we spent hundreds of hours looking for a suitable site in PA with no
luck.  We finally found the perfect site... in New York state.  NY
doesn't have the same nifty provision.  So, in order to do the ceremony
like we planned, we had to do the JP thing.  Bleh.

-Magdalena