[Sca-cooks] Queston on Basic utensils

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sat Sep 8 23:13:33 PDT 2001

 Aethelwulf asked:
>     Thermometers.......good idea !!!

Yes, after some discussion on that topic here a while back, I went
and bought some thermometers. Using an oven thermometer (actually one
made for a grill) I discovered that it took a lot longer for my
oven to reach the temperature I set than I thought it did. I've
since then modified how long I preheat the oven before I begin
baking.

Another suggestion, primarily at feasts, was to have enough
thermometers to be able to leave one in each oven you were using.
This I haven't acted on yet, but then I don't ever anticipate
cooking a large feast.

>    As far as pots go am I better off with Cast Iron
>     or the ubiquitous stainless ?

I'm not sure which is better. It will probably depend on your own
situation. Many cooks prefer the cast iron, but if you have cast
iron you need to be prepared to season it properly and to take
precautions so that that seasoning is not distroyed by folks doing
the wrong things to it.

For a bit more on the care of cast iron and some ideas on fixing cast
iron utensils that have been mistreated (and if you buy them used, you
may need to do some of this) check this file in the FOOD-UTENSILS
section of the Florilegium:
iron-pot-care-msg (22K)  2/ 1/00    Seasoning and caring for iron pots
and
                                       skillets.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-UTENSILS/iron-pot-care-msg.html

--
THL Stefan li Rous    Barony of Bryn Gwlad    Kingdom of Ansteorra
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net