[Sca-cooks] Cooking Terms Defined

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Mon Sep 10 09:01:29 PDT 2001

> > Yogurt: Semi-solid dairy product made from partially
> > evaporated and fermented milk. Yogurt is one of only
> > three foods that taste exactly the same as they
> > sound. The other two are goulash and squid.

*Blink* I've NEVER had goulash that tastes the way the word sounds. But
then even though I've had proper Hungarian goulash I've never heard a
Hungarian-speaker pronounce the word so maybe the word in Hungarian sounds
the way the food tastes-- given the nature of the Hungarian language I
wouldn't be surprised.

In upstate NY, goulash is a dish involving ground beef, macaroni noodles,
canned tomatoes and sometimes sloppy-joe sauce. And it still doesn't taste
like the world goulash sounds.

Are they talking about some other kind of goulash?

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa