[Sca-cooks] Cooking Terms Defined

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Sep 10 09:57:55 PDT 2001

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net wrote:
>>>Yogurt: Semi-solid dairy product made from partially
>>>evaporated and fermented milk. Yogurt is one of only
>>>three foods that taste exactly the same as they
>>>sound. The other two are goulash and squid.
>>>

> *Blink* I've NEVER had goulash that tastes the way the word sounds. But
> then even though I've had proper Hungarian goulash I've never heard a
> Hungarian-speaker pronounce the word so maybe the word in Hungarian sounds
> the way the food tastes-- given the nature of the Hungarian language I
> wouldn't be surprised.
>
> In upstate NY, goulash is a dish involving ground beef, macaroni noodles,
> canned tomatoes and sometimes sloppy-joe sauce. And it still doesn't taste
> like the world goulash sounds.

This seems pretty subjective. I would bet a substantial sum (if I ever
get one) that the original author of the sentiments in question would
not be aware of or acknowledge any difference between gulyas, porkolt,
paprikash, etc., and the kind of goulash you describe, which is
essentially an early form of hamburger helper.

But then the original author, while clearly fond of he sound of his/her
own "voice", clearly knows comparatively little about food anyway.

> Are they talking about some other kind of goulash?

See above. To the author, I suspect there is only one kind.

I wouldn't worry about it, though. You can sit and laugh at it while not
taking any of it seriously. These thoughtless squid-maligners are all
alike anyway ;  ) .
BTW, the pseudo-goulash you describe is found in PA, too.

Adamantius
--
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com