[Sca-cooks] Cooking Terms Defined

Kayah fairyelf at accessv.com
Mon Sep 10 11:22:57 PDT 2001

> In upstate NY, goulash is a dish involving ground beef, macaroni noodles,
> canned tomatoes and sometimes sloppy-joe sauce. And it still doesn't taste
> like the world goulash sounds.
>
> Are they talking about some other kind of goulash?
>
> -- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa
> jenne at fiedlerfamily.net OR jenne at tulgey.browser.net OR jahb at lehigh.edu
> "Are you finished? If you're finished, you'll have to put down the spoon."

The goulash I know is more like a type of stew.. I don't know if it's
Hungarian. All I know about Hungarian cooking is that it's spicy (peppery -
peppers, paprika and black peppery). Meat chunks with peppers and spices set
into a sort of stew.. usually served with either potatoes or macarroni
(although it can be eaten on its own.. the "side dish" really has little to
do with the goulash itself).. The variant of goulash my mom serves (Polish
style) is chicken hearts and gizzard thingumies in their own sauce type
thing.. it's like a thick stew, but is served over rice, macaroni or
potatoes.
There aren't really that many examples that I can think of in "eastern" type
cooking that use ground beef that is left in little tiny bits.. It's either
usually put into balls or stuffed somewhere,.. rarely is it left on its own
floating around.
Of course.. goulash can also be served as a stew.. without anything.. just
meat in a thick sauce type thing.. with a rear-end piece of bread to sop up
the juice.. Mmm :)

But I haven't really had a chance to get all scholarly on food.. Just saying
stuff from my own experience and memory :)

Kay - who is the newest lurker around here, prolly :)