[Sca-cooks] Queston on Basic utensils

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Mon Sep 10 09:20:49 PDT 2001

>     Thermometers.......good idea !!! Thank you
>    As far as pots go am I better off with Cast Iron
>     or the ubiquitous stainless ?

Owning a cast-iron skillet is probably a Good Idea. For long-simmering
stew/soups, baking, roasting, etc a cast-iron dutch oven is a very useful,
versatile tool. However, if you make soup on a regular basis, a stock pot
(aluminum or similar) is a Good Thing. Some people can't stand cast iron,
though.

>    What about presses and peelers and graters etc etc ?

A standard 4-sided grater comes in handy sometimes, as does a standard
potato/carrot peeler.  There are other cool tools out there, though: you
may want to check out your local dollar store for things to experiment
with.

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa