[Sca-cooks] Queston on Basic utensils

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Sat Sep 8 15:11:03 PDT 2001

Johnnae sends along some more suggestions.
Go for price and quality and what you can afford.
You can always buy kitchenware in the future and
as your skills and talents improve, you may find
yourself wanting totally different cookware.
For stockpots I really like my Berndes much more
than the Revere, but the Revere cost 100 or so
dollars less and was what we could on a student
budget at that time in our lives. I would get on
mailing lists for all the mail-order kitchen
equipment dealers and shop
for sales and closeouts. (check out amazon.com from
time to time too...they will throw great sales 80 per
cent off items...)If you have professional
kitchen stores in your area that allow non-pro's to
shop in their hallowed aisles, go check them out.
Check for outlet stores in the brands that you are
interested in. Also you might want to read up on
equipment reviews... for that see Cooks Magazine
which does reviews in their issues. Also see Christopher
Kimball's The Cook's Bible which has also has reviews
in it.
If you want to enter contests, check out the platters and
equipment that are being used by  the winners and figure
out what you will need in those areas.
I really love the new microplane graters that are based
on wood rasps... they work. Buy the peelers that you
will use...You might go look at Williams-Sonoma and see
what their tools are like and then go take a comparison
look at Target... How do the features match up vis a vis
price? Ask lots of questions as to why you spend 24 dollars
for the grater and not 2.49...
Plan on doing this over time and eventually you'll have
a collection... but let me warn you cookware is the same
as book collecting... there's always some new thing or
some better thing to spend more money on...it doesn't end

Johnna Holloway