[Sca-cooks] Hungarian foods

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Mon Sep 10 22:13:10 PDT 2001

Noemi said:
> mark.s.harris at motorola.com writes:
> > So, does someone have a good recipe for "real" goulash? And what
> > are these "gulyas, porkolt, paprikash"? Any reason to believe
> > these might or might not be foods from before 1600 AD?
>
> Well, for modern Hungarian dishes like gulyas, porkolt or paprikas I highly
> recommend George Lang's _Cuisine of Hungary_.  A VERY basic rundown on what
> each of these is follows (just be aware there is a lot of variation):

Thank you, Noemi. I do have George Lang's _Cuisine of Hungary_ but when
I asked that I was at work so I couldn't check. I haven't had much
time to look through it and was wondering just how many of his recipes
might be period for us. Your comments remind me to be careful with
the recipes in this book for that.

I also note that while those three items are in the index, "Goulash"
isn't. Nor is any different spelling that I could think of.

I have noted tins of Hungarian paprika in a number of the ethnic
markets that I have been in lately.
--
THL Stefan li Rous    Barony of Bryn Gwlad    Kingdom of Ansteorra
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net