[Sca-cooks] Hungarian foods

Nanna Rognvaldardottir nanna at idunn.is
Tue Sep 11 02:24:04 PDT 2001

> I also note that while those three items are in the index, "Goulash"
> isn't. Nor is any different spelling that I could think of.

Yeah, well, goulash is just a distortion of gulyás (Icelandic glás is the
version I grew up with). Or as Lang says in the book:

"A strange thing has happened to Hungarian gulyás. According to a 1969
Gallup Poll, gulyás is one of the five most popular meat dishes on the
American cooking scene. Of course, what is usually served under this name
shouldn't happen to a Rumanian."

Gulyás is further divided into gulyásleves (soup) and gulyáshús (stew), the
main difference being the amount of liquid. I´ve been to Hungary twice and
eaten my share of gulyásleves, in fancy and not-so-fancy restaurants,
taverns and other places, but the very best version I ever had (and I liked
them all) was in a run-down truckers stop somewhere on the Alföld. I've been
trying to recreate that ever since.

Nanna