[Sca-cooks] Hungarian foods

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Tue Sep 11 07:38:26 PDT 2001

Given that Hungarian paprika comes from a variety
of capsicum annuum that originated in the New World, it
seems somewhat problematical to urge its use in Society
circles. The original peppers might have reached Hungary
in 1604, but they were then bred and crossbred to develop
the strains that have come to be known as today's Hungarian
Paprika. Alan Davidson in The Oxford Companion to Food
 indicates that the word "paprika"
"did not come into currency until 1775." Commercial production
only began in the 1850's when a process was developed to remove
the cores and seeds, leaving behind the less pungent paprika that
we know today.

Johnnae llyn Lewis

Johnna Holloway