[Sca-cooks] Fwd: Marzipan

Pixel, Goddess and Queen pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com
Wed Sep 12 12:07:48 PDT 2001

Cabbage-flavored marzipan? *shudder* Oh, ick.

One of the pottages in the Anglo-Norman corpus (I don't remember if
it made it into _Curye on Inglysch_ or not) states the color should be
indigo. Our dyeing instructor said that when indigo is blue it is inert,
but I don't know that you want to be consuming it, either. The question is
whether they actually meant real indigo, or were using the word to mean
blue generically. If you go with the first interpretation, she could use a
dark blue powder color in imitation of indigo.

Or, elderberries are a very strong color and a period dye for blue.

Margaret FitzWilliam