[Sca-cooks] Newbie to the list....

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 12 12:54:46 PDT 2001

Glenn Crawford" <gacrwfrd at hotmail.com> wrote:
>The feast is 22 Sept. Our Budget is @$200.00 which is @$10/plate.
>
>We hold in the wood's at a friend's house we have made a make shift building
>out of logs and burlap. We have created 2 fire pits, one is to cook on the
>other to socialize.

My first feast (after i'd been in the SCA 1-1/2 years, eaten at one
feast and helped cook one other) was The Beacon's Gate Boar Hunt last
December. I fed 90 people on $300 (not counting the Boar's Head cake,
which was donated) - that's $3.33 per plate. There were some grains
and some vegetables left over.

It was a huge feast and everyone was stuffed. Nearly all the food was
from Medieval and Renaissance recipes.

BEVERAGES
Hot Spiced Cider (not documentably medieval)
Hot Faulx Ypocras (authentically spiced but non-alcoholic hypocras of
grape and other juices)
(no alcohol could be served at the site, but i used some in my cooking)

ON TABLES
Bread - manchets (white rolls) and sourdough rolls
Butter
Cheeses: brie (8th c.), emmenthal (13th c.), gouda (13th c.), munster
(8th or 13th c.), and parmesan (13th c.)
Compost: "chutney" of spiced root vegetables, cabbage, and pears -
English, Forme of Cury, 14th c.
Pitchers of water

FIRST COURSE
Mild Italian Pork Sausages (store bought but similar to a late Medieval recipe)
Cabbage with Fennel and Apples - Italian, Libro della Cucina, 16th c.
Funges (mushrooms) - English, Forme of Cury, 14th c.
Chyckens in Gravey - English, Forme of Cury, 14th c.
Limonada (Lemon Sauce) - Catalan, Libro del Coch, 1520
Rice in almond milk - English, Forme of Cury, 14th c.
Crustade Lumbarde (cooked egg custard pies with dates and prunes) -
English, two Harleian MS in Two Fifteenth Century Cookery Books

SECOND COURSE
Roast Pork Loin (not medieval, but not far off)
Apple Juice Sauce - Spanish, Granado, Libro del Arte de Cozina, 1599
Horseradish-Honey Sauce - Spanish, de Nola, Libro de Guisados, early 16th c.
Garlic Sauce with Walnuts and Almonds - Spanish, Granado, Libro del
Arte de Cozina, 1599
Sallat  - English, Forme of Cury, 14th c.
Turnips in Mustard Sauce - French, la Varenne, 1654
Buttered Onions and Apples - English, May, Accomplisht Cook, 1660
Frumenty  - English, Forme of Cury, 14th c.

DESSERT COURSE
Boar's Head Sotiltie: gingerbread cake with colored marzipan frosting
- prepared and donated by Dorothea Ravn
Gingered Apples (Beacon's Gate Boar's Hunt Tradition)
Pies of Whole Pears - French, Guillaume Tirel dit Taillevent, 15th c. edition

I used a modern kitchen with ovens to roast the pork legs and bake
the pies, had the equivalent of 4 or 5 burners for the various pots
of food, and used electric rice cookers to cook the grains before
finishing them in big pots on the stove. I made some stuff at home
ahead of time. I had about 10 helpers, not all of whom were cooking
full time.

Original recipes, my redactions, and discussion of processes are up
on my website:
http://witch.drak.net/lilinah/menu.html

I could not have done it without the help and generosity of both my
crew and of many people on this list, some of whom are credited on my
website.

And i am doing it again this year, as i've posted to the list, mostly
German, mostly 16th c.

Anahita