[Sca-cooks] chili peppers

Pixel, Goddess and Queen pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com
Thu Sep 13 08:27:25 PDT 2001

> (big snip)
> > Anybody have any idea what kind of peppers I have, how hot I might
> > expect them to be, and what I can use them for?
>
> You said they are "babies", so your chiles will probably have to grow a bit
> more before you try to ID them.
>
> For chile ID, I use:
>
> _The Great Chile Book_ by Mark Miller
> Ten Speed Press, 1991
> ISBN: 0-89815-428-6
>
> The first part of the book is fresh chile ID and the last part of the book
> is dried chile ID.  The latter part is useful for chile ID in markets/stores
> where chiles are dried and unlabelled.
>
> The book will indicate the heat of the chile as a number range below the
> picture.  The heat index is on the inside cover.  Opposite the pictures are
> historical facts, geographical origins and cooking suggestions for each
> chile (Mark Miller was an anthropologist before he was a chef).
>
> What the book doesn't tell you is that you can push a chile to the upper end
> of its heat range by depriving it of water.  Less water = more heat.
>
> HTH
>
> Ariann
> in ABQ where they are roasting green chiles on the street corners

Well, one of them seems to be at it's full growth, and it's still smaller
than a serrano chili, and pointy. The rest are smaller (and very cute) and
also very pointy.

Hmmm. I think I am going to have hot chilis--I only water them when they
start to look a bit droopy.

Thanks. I'll see if I can find the book--I love chilis, but my husband is
a big weenie when it comes to spicy, and knowing which are going to be
nippy in advance is a good thing.

Margaret