[Sca-cooks] chili peppers

Pixel, Goddess and Queen pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com
Thu Sep 13 10:28:43 PDT 2001

> From: Pixel, Goddess and Queen <pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com>
> > Well, one of them seems to be at it's full growth, and it's still smaller
> > than a serrano chili, and pointy. The rest are smaller (and very cute) and
> > also very pointy.
>
> Unfortunately, a quick flip through the book matches that description with
> 11 chiles.  Ten of which are in the really hot 7-10 range.
>
> Have you tasted one yet?  If it's not too hot, it may be chile candidate
> #11.
>
> Are you sure it's from "Mexico" and not New "Mexico"?  That distinction
> narrows the field.

It's a *really* uninformative label. Has a picture, and I *think* it
says full sun. I'll check when I get home (although I am headed out to SD
tomorrow morning to go teach a class on 13th c. dress and accessories, so
I will be offline for a little while).

I'll have to taste one tonight, I suppose. I should have opted for
jalapenos, which, if nothing else, are readily identifiable by me. I
*love* roasted jalapenos. In small quantities.

Sigh. I have such a wonderful feeling of wealth just looking at all the
little baby peppers starting to grow--it's hard to bring myself to pick
one. It's like a fabric stash. ;-)

> There are no descriptions of the plant/bush in the book, so I can't go that
> route.
>
> > Hmmm. I think I am going to have hot chilis--I only water them when they
> > start to look a bit droopy.
>
> If you discover you have grown little red chiles of death, you can always
> make decorative wreaths and/or ristras.  I can send you the instructions
> this weekend.

Or I can give them to my father, who once had one of those ornamental Thai
pepper plants and used to snack on them randomly.

Margaret