[Sca-cooks] Jehan Yves hospitality table

James May robmay at home.com
Thu Sep 13 18:55:23 PDT 2001

         To try and answer all questions in one message: The unasked
question is; is this period? The answer is that I have heard discussion on
this list over the years that I've lurked here that this is period, but I
got into a rush and did not do the research and follow the period reciept.
I created this recipe to simulate a period piece.

At 03:11 PM 9/13/2001 +0100, you wrote:
>Could I ask where you found your egg shaped cake molds?  And what spices did
>you add to the yolks?  Did you scramble the yolks? Boil them?
>
>~Melody Mahanna

         My lady found the molds at a thrift shop for 50 cents.
         The spices were salt, pepper, dry parsely, and miracle whip.
         The yolks were cooked in a saucepan until set, stirring
constantly, then covered, with the heat off, allowed to sit for about 3
minutes to finish cooking. Spices added and processed through a foley mill.

>And also, what did you do to the white? did you just lightly whisk them in to
>incorpoarte them so they wouldn't separate into individual pieces?
>Finnebhir

         I placed the whites straight into the mold. No stirring or additions.

>Jehan did you whisk the egg whites? and if you were using half of egg
>shape pans how did you hold the halves together? For the egg yolks... does
>anyone think you could use something like really big sausage casings to put
>the mix up yolks into to boil? How long did you bake and at what
>temperature as well?
>~Melody Mahanna

         I did not put the halves back together. Service was done as if it
were a deviled egg. I believe that the period reciept called for the use of
casing to first mold a yolk, and then a larger one to mold the whites
around it. I baked the whites for 1 1/2 hours at 350 degrees.

Jehan Yves