[Sca-cooks] Apology not necessary...back to Turkish Delight...

Mark Calderwood mark-c at acay.com.au
Thu Sep 13 23:58:54 PDT 2001

Dearest Mari, I think people on this are intelligent enough to distinguish
between a very legitimate food question and current media-inflamed
demonisation of a particluar ethnic group, despite the horrific recent events.

Anyway, with that said, it was originally my question. I am trying to
research the development of the sweet we know today as Turkish Delight,
also known as loukoumia or rahat lokum (with a view to determining hether
it is appropriate for two upcoming middle eastern feasts). It is not
mentioned in any period middle-eastern cookery book I have, the earliest
reference I can find is 1776.

Does anyone know when Turkish delight/rahat lokum as we know it developed,
and what the forerunner/ period equivalent was if any? Thanks.

Giles