[Sca-cooks] Unnecessary Apology... was Essence of Turkish Delight...

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Sep 14 03:09:18 PDT 2001

Susan Laing wrote:
> Lord I'm an idiot!
>
> I'm sorry that I've been very Forrest Gumpish in sending out my last
> cooking/recipe question
>
> I was thinking just "Food" not it's point of origin.
>
> I realise that any number of you are now going to be insulted that I thought
> you'd be insulted but I'd rather appear an idiot than insensitive to the few
> that will take it that way by mentioning anything about "middle eastern" at
> this point of time ....

Well, it's like this. They had grief counsellors in my kid's school
yesterday, and what a lot of kids needed to have stressed was the fact
that just because it appears that the people responsible for this may
have been followers of Islam, or Afghans, or fill-in-the-blank, we would
be as guilty as they if we thought of those groups as being worthy of
retaliation. This is good advice for adults, too. And if we let the very
mention of the name of a group which happens to share some religious
beliefs with the group who appear responsible insult and frighten us,
then the terrorists have truly won, haven't they?

BTW, on an only marginally related note, I understand that New York
City's labor unions have specifically asked that the Federal government
take _no_ role in the creation of a monument, plaque, statue, anything
of the sort on the site. They've asked, (or so I heard last night) to be
allowed to raise the money to build what amounts to an exact duplicate
of the Twin Towers on the same site, just... well... let's say...
somewhat taller ;  ) .

Adamantius
--
Phil & Susan Troy