[Sca-cooks] Apology... was Essence of Turkish Delight...

Michael Gunter countgunthar at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 14 07:08:22 PDT 2001

>I'm sorry that I've been very Forrest Gumpish in sending out my last
>cooking/recipe question

Excuse me but that total BS. Just because the terrorists
are suspected of being of Middle Eastern origin there is
no reason to ignore or PC any aspect of the Middle East.
Especially of the time period covered here.

While I was disgusted at the scenes of celebration by
arabs and the comments of some arabic peoples in their
lands I am not condemning an entire race and culture
because of a few fanatics.

Islamic culture, recipes and history are perfectly fine
to discuss on this forum. They always have been. There
are many very good people who are now afraid to come
out of their houses or grieve publicly because of the
fear of retribution.

There are many aspects of the arabic, Islamic and Muslum
culture that I truly admire. There are other aspects I
consider barbaric. But I could say that about most peoples.

So there is no need to apologize for asking about a dish
of Middle Eastern origin. That's part of what this list
is about. In fact I'm gratified to see the list swinging
back to its original content. This isn't WWII and the
American people are not going to give in to mass hysteria
and throw every person of arabic origins into internment
camps. We've hopefully learned by now to distinguish the
differences between people and criminals.

Criminals, and those who shelter them, should be dealt with
to the fullest extent. But they could be arabic, aryan, black,
hispanic, asian or green men from Mars. I will not let this
list be cowed by either public sentiment or terrorists.
As long as I hear no praise for the act of wanton distruction
this is a free list and people can discuss what subjects
they desire.

Sorry, I got a bit wordy there. The basic theme is that there
is no reason to sweep the entire Arabic culture under the
rug.

>Mari

Gunthar