[Sca-cooks] Spice question

Maggie MacDonald maggie5 at home.com
Fri Sep 14 12:55:42 PDT 2001

At 03:35 PM 9/14/01 -0400,jenne at fiedlerfamily.net said something like:
> > For a feast next weekend I want to make "Potage of Roysons". It ask for
> > galingale spice, I have never hear of it. What is it, and where can I find
> > it? It there a substitution the can be used?
>
>Hm.. Online it's available from Penn Herb, www.pennherb.com (it's also
>available from some better retailers such as Francesco Sirene and the
>Pepperers' Guild but you need it for next weekend). Look for Galangal. You
>probably want the powder.
>
>-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa

Galingale is also known as galanga, or laos powder, and is very easy to get
in the ethnic asian markets.

I learned though, that you don't take the large DRY chunks and try to
pulverize them in a coffee grinder. You end up with melted plastic from the
motor oozing out around the blades, and a very pissed off still large chunk
of galangale sitting in the container.

Regards,
Maggie