[Sca-cooks] Broad beans (Fava)

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Fri Sep 14 15:19:02 PDT 2001

I hate to mention it but fava beans are associated with
Favism. This description from a UC/Davis website.

Favism is an inherited disorder of certain individuals,
particularly of southern European origin. These people
have an enzyme deficiency expressed when fava beans
are eaten, especially raw or partially cooked. Symptoms
commonly include acute toxic hepatitis and those similar
to influenza. Males are more commonly affected than females;
mortality is almost entirely confined to children.
Fava plant pollen in the respiratory tract also affects these people.
http://www.sfc.ucdavis.edu/pubs/brochures/favabean.html

Johnnae llyn Lewis  Johnna Holloway