[Sca-cooks] [Sca-cooks]Twelfth Night: the date

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Fri Sep 14 23:08:49 PDT 2001

Mirhaxa said:
> An inter-kingdom anthropology zinger. I was reading along this thread and
> wondering what seemed odd about it, and then realized that it was the idea
> of Kingdom 12th Night. In the Outlands we have Midwinter or 12th Night in
> each Barony, not as a Kingdom altogether. One reason some of us have
> Midwinter is so we can not conflict with 12th Night and travel to each
> other's events.

This is also the case in Ansteorra. 12th Night is traditionally put
on by the Barony of the Steppes (Dallas) and Candlemas is traditionally
put on by the Barony of Bryn Gwlad (Austin). These are not Kingdom
events but baronial events. Many (most?) other groups also have some
kind of Yule Celebration in December. Some as on-calender events,
some as off-calender events.

I wonder if this is an East Kingdom/West Kingdom differance or more
like Atenveldt and daughter kingdoms (of which Ansteorra is one) and
everyone else.

Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net