[Sca-cooks] Relief Efforts

Diana tantra at optonline.net
Sat Sep 15 05:42:07 PDT 2001

Please, everyone....Call the Red Cross or United Way before you buy
anything.  I know that Bloomies here donated every sock in their inventory
to the cause - and the lists change hourly as to what they need.

We were told that if we wanted to help, please look to help in a week, two
weeks and a month.  This effort will go on for a long time - not just the
clean up, but helping to support and heal people's hearts and minds.  There
is also a fund started to help the families of those rescue workers who are
MIA after the collapse - I can't remember what it is called at the moment,
but I will post after I find it again (lack of sleep will do that to your
brain).

No matter how far away you are, you can donate cash to ANY Red Cross Unit.
The cash will be used to buy whatever they need.  Also, if you are buying
supplies to help the cause, almost *all* places we have gone have been
giving deep discounts to those buying supplies (yea, buying over 500
packages of batteries and 100 blankets gave them an idea that we were not
buying these items for ourselves - the sales person asked and gave us a
discount for that purpose).

Other things you may want to do:  go into your local police station or fire
station and say 'thank you' for the job these brave souls do every day, tell
someone in the military, a cop on the street or a national guard person that
you appreciate them for what they do, commit random acts of kindness.

In Service,

Diana d'Avignon