[Sca-cooks] The Fallwell/Robertson statements - was, Fw: Threats

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sat Sep 15 11:39:58 PDT 2001

Seton1355 at aol.com wrote:
> --
> Johnna,
> thanks from me for posting the dispicable Fallwell articel.  *I* needed to
> see it for myself.  For while I watch the Catholic channel (I'm Jewish, but
> my husband says the medieval overtones of mass must appeal to me.... and I
> like Mother Angelica)  The Fallwall/ 700 Club channel holds no appeal. so I
> am glad to have a chance to read the article as I missed the broadcast.
>
> Now if someone could only explain to me why the Catholics are not considered
> Christains................................................

I often wonder about that, although on this occasion that point was not
raised. The usual arguments are the papacy and the veneration of saints,
but basically, for many people the state religion of the U.S.A., which
is supposed to have no state religion (no doubt a major complaint of
people like Fallwell and Robertson) is some form of generic Protestantism.

I'm not quite old enough to remember some of the anti-Catholic
sentiments expressed during JFK's presidential campaign, Phillipa, are
you? I gather they were mostly a retread of the nastiness spread about
Al Smith and various others.

> a confused, Phillipa
> (off to make gingerbreade for Rosh haShanah

You go, girl, and don't let Fallwell's shadow cloud it, especially Yom
Kippur.

Adamantius
--
Phil & Susan Troy