[Sca-cooks] Catholic/Christian, was: The Fallwell/Robertson statements

grizly at mindspring.com grizly at mindspring.com
Sat Sep 15 20:28:18 PDT 2001

I just wanted to take a quick ventillation for no real reason except my own satisfaction.  Madelena has already explained her basis of comment to us.

1)  The Catholic Irish I have spoken with have not been all that bothered by Lutherans in Southern Mississippi, but have emotions wrapped up in the whole conflict going on in their country and English stuff involved in that conflict.  Sure, the Spanish Inquisition was very brutal in their actions, but you might be surprised at the difference of the earlier Inquisition (further east) under the direction of the Franciscan Inquisitors in Italy.  Lots of history to know when talking about this phenomenon that went on for the better part of a century across Europe.  We always call it the 'Spanish' Inquisition for a reason.  The really good heresies include the Abesingian (sp).  There are lots more interesting and theologically profound heresies to study in history than the 'Inquisition'.

2)  I suspect it rather over generalized to claim any real statement of theology or belief as "Protestant" given the wide variety in theological doctrine and leadership even amongst a given denomination . . . . not many Baptists buy into the 144,000 souls only are going to heaven, and no Lutherans really publicly support the doctrine of polygamy.  While the disagreement with and misunderstanding of the theological premises of Catholic Ritual and Sacrament may be generalized to many protestants who have not studied it (as well as many Catholics who have not studied it), the foundations for disagreement vary widely based on a given theological underpinning.  MY OWN PERSONAL BELIEF is it somewhat flawed to explain or express a religious pratice from a view outside its foundation.  To do so is basically presenting the antithesis rather than the groundwork itself. The one that really pinched a nerve was the 'worshiping of saints' thing.  To describe the veneration of assembly of sa!
!
ints by Catholics as 'worshiping' them begs a very dangerous question.

3)  I only bring this last idea because there will be very many opportunities in the coming weeks and months to understand/misunderstand the beliefs and practices of many religious groups.  To use the same sort of window to view Muslim/Islamic beliefs creates a precarious ledge that lead us where do not wish to be in terms of intolerance and ignorance. To describe another religion from the standpoint of 'it ain't us' starts from the basis of rejection and denegration.

niccolo difrancesco

(PS Can anyone list anywhere close to the entirety of Luther's These left on the Cathedral door, without looking in an reference manual?  Being able to do that would, in my personal little world, lend more credence to someone's discussions about Luther's validity or lack.  They don't have to recite his theological arguments behind them, just what they were . . . not even required in order.)

sca-cooks at ansteorra.org wrote:
< < < <I think the Catholics in Northern Ireland don't think very highly of the Protestants.  Even if we don't consider that a very contemporary view, it certainly is a historically accurate view.  The Catholics were busy burning Protestants at the stake for some time as heretics.

Once again, I am giving the arguments that I've heard, usually from far wackier Protestants than I've hung out with.  While they may not be very well grounded when viewed from the *Catholic's perspectives*, they are certainly well grounded from within the dogma of many Protestant churches.  Some of the arguments go all the way back to Martin Luther's original proclamations.  When the Protestants broke off with the belief that the Church was practicing distinctly un-Christian things, they came to the conclusion that they were the proper interpreters of the Bible and people who failed to follow them were un-Christian.  That belief has softened some, but hasn't gone completely away. > > > > >

-Magdalena