[Sca-cooks] Catholic/Christian, was: The Fallwell/Robertson st

Tara tsersen at nni.com
Sun Sep 16 07:28:04 PDT 2001

> It was a mistranslation from a translation from the original ancient greek
> IIRC.

But it doesn't neccisarily matter, because in the eyes of "believers" -
in this case, many Protestants - the translation was produced with the
help of God, who wouldn't allow the translater to be incorrect by
accident or on purpose.  So, if there is any debate about the
translation of a word, it's because our collective memory of the meaning
of that word has changed, not because it was ever mis-translated.  Sure,
we may think the word means "poisoner," just like we think the word for
"virgin" that described Mary really meant "a woman who doesn't get any
from her husband," but we're obviously wrong because God wouldn't allow
an incorrect translation in His Book.  Boy, have I heard that argument
many times!

And, once again, I don't proscribe to these arguments, in all honesty I
could care less.  I'm merely reporting what I've heard.

-Magdalena