[Sca-cooks] Seasonal Feasts

Volker Bach bachv at paganet.de
Sun Sep 16 09:39:43 PDT 2001

Kayah schrieb:

> --
> Greetings
>
> I was browsing through a whole bunch of food sites today and one question popped into my mind...
> When cooking feasts and such, do any of you consider the seasonal availability of fruits and meat as it would have been done in the past? I'd like to get feedback and your thoughts on it.

Well, I've never actually cooked a feast, but for
the meals I prepare for A&S Meets and War
Encampments I try, within reason, to follow the
season's dictates (at times this is an issue of
cost - perversely, imported non-seasonal fruit at
times is cheaper than seasonal regional). Hence
for this weekend's meal I planned for leeks and
spinach (couldn't get any - had to resort to some
exotic-looking cabbage variety that's in season
but probably not period), with apples for the
dessert. Aside from the markets I use Mrs Beeton's
Book of Household Management as my guide to when a
fruit or vegetable is 'seasonal'. However, I take
it that this reflects condition in Britain and
post-period. Other than a longer growing season,
can anyone point me to a good comprehensive source
as to what would have been seasonal in, say, 14th
century Bavaria or Northern Italy, or anywhere
more continental than GB?

YIS

Giano