[Sca-cooks] Seasonal Feasts

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Sun Sep 16 13:09:22 PDT 2001

There are good sources for agricultural histories.
Likewise there are numerous other writing that describe
the day to day life of various people in various regions
and times and what they harvested and ate. And although
they are boring, the various household accounts from the
gentry and nobility can provide insight into what was
grown and harvested in various regions.
Also there are numerous works that deal with
famines, because crop failure was a real and constant
threat throughout most of history, including the millions
who died in even the twentieth century.
And there are a number of European sources that are available,
that have never been translated into English that would help
to answer the academic questions of what was available when
and where. One has to look beyond cookery in order to find the
answers here.

Johnnae llyn Lewis
Johnna Holloway

SNIPPED HEAVILY----