[Sca-cooks] Catholic/Christian, was: The Fallwell/Robertson statements

Volker Bach bachv at paganet.de
Sun Sep 16 10:50:07 PDT 2001

Druighad at aol.com schrieb:

> In a message dated 9/15/01 4:31:27 PM Central Daylight Time, tsersen at nni.com
> writes:
>
> << You shall not suffer a sorceress to live." >>
>
> do you know, I have read this and researched it in various places and the
> original text said "Thou shalt not suffer an ASSASSIN to live?" funny how
> when men in religious places high, and mighty change their texts to reflect
> their own views....
> And No I don't remember where I first came across that historical bit and
> it's been so long that I couldn't even begin to backtrack.

Could this come from the Latin? Anyone got the
Vulgate handy? I'd guess the word is 'venefica'.
It would probably be interesting enough to simply
compare different Bible versions in various
languages and from various groups. The
'Lutherbibel' (in this case a slightly modernised
version of Luther's translation we  worked with in
school) has 'Zauberer' (male, but understood in
general to be gender-neutral), which is best
translated as 'workers of magic'. The most common
quote I heard in English was 'Thou shalt not
suffer a witch to live', but I can't vouch for its
authenticity - my concordance isn't at hand and I
only know that it's somewhere in the Pentateuch.

Anyone else?

Volker