[Sca-cooks] Irish recipies

Elizabeth A Heckert spynnere at juno.com
Sat Sep 15 09:18:49 PDT 2001

     I realized all of a sudden, "I've got food to research!" at the end
of this past week.  (Viking era, isle of Man--c.950, courtesy the camp
commander).

    Friends lent me a lovely book, *Norse and Later Settlement and
Subsistence in the North Atlantic*, edited by Christopher D. Morris and
D. James Rackham, University of Glasgow, 1992, ISBN 1 873132 40 9.

     I also had an archeological report (in English) of the finds at
Viking era Ribe in Denmark.  So I've been able to contrast the food
remains in Scotland and the Orkneys with Denmark, and the finds are
different.   I think the Norse settlements book would be useful, in
indicating what could be grown, as that had the Scottish and Orkney info.
 (Scotland being that much closer to Ireland, etc.)

    Ann Hagen produced two books on Anglo Saxon food and drink that also
have mentions of food in Dublin, from slightly later.  I have found Hagen
extremely helpful, because, after plowing through Latin plant names which
weren't always translated into English common names, she had a section on
what we would nowadays call wild-crafted foods, which listed the finds of
non-cultivated food and starvation food.

    Elizabeth

On Sun, 16 Sep 2001 18:05:36 +0100 "Hrolf Douglasson"
<Hrolf at btinternet.com> writes:
Do what I do when I stuck for early viking pieces.; Contact Dublin Museum
>and get the address of the archeological dept. They have the reports
>from the digs and are usually very happy toget the exact reports you
need.
>In the are hidden some real gems. Like the contents of middens and pots.

>Giving you the ingriedients and cooking styles used and then you have
the fun of working out what they did with them.