[Sca-cooks] apple pies

Nicolas Steenhout vavroom at bmee.net
Mon Sep 17 07:53:39 PDT 2001

>So, has anybody made pies with dried apples?

Can't say that I have, but I imagine it's firly possible, depending on what
kind of "filling" you use.  If you rehydrate the dried apples in some light
syrup, or apple juice, then thicken that, you should get a decent filling,
if you like these kinds.

Funny enough you mention apple pies, as Finnebhir and I were thinking about
baking some for our shire this week.  Me, I make two very good apple
pies.  One is Tarte Tatin, an "upside down" kinda pie, where I put some
sugar at the bottom of the pan (no crust), then half peeled apples, then
more sugar, and I fit a "cap" of (home made) puff pastry over
it.  Bake.  When out of the oven, flip right side up.  Serve.  Yummy.  The
other is a more regular type of pie, but I don't like the liquid
fillings...  I usualy just make my pate brisee, then slice apples, more
wedge like, sprinkle sugar, and a bit of cinnamon, put the dough back on,
and bake.

Finnebhir has provided me with a brand of apples I'd never tried before,
we'll see.  What's the name again Finnster?

Muiredach mac Loloig
Rokkehealden Shire
aka
Nicolas Steenhout