[Sca-cooks] apple pies

Michael Gunter countgunthar at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 17 08:28:06 PDT 2001

First off, I would like to thank everyone for
getting things back on topic. I've allowed a
lot of leeway over the past week so that we
can get our feelings and emotions out. I'm
very happy to see that everyone is now getting
back on track and talking about history and
food.

>Me, I make two very good apple pies.  One is
>Tarte Tatin, an "upside down" kinda pie, where I put some sugar at the
>bottom of the pan (no crust),
>then half peeled apples, then more sugar, and I fit a
>"cap" of (home made) puff pastry overit.  Bake.

What temp and time? I guess just according to the
puff pastry directions until browned?

>When out of the oven, flip right side up.  Serve.

I've made some wonderful peasant tarts with apples
cooked with brown sugar, butter and cinnamon. Or
a caramel or cajeta (thank you Rick Bayless) if I
can find it.
Then spoon it into rounds of pie dough, fold and
pleat the dough over the apple filling with a hole
in the middle. Top with sugar and cinnamon and
bake at 350 F. for around 20 minutes or so.

>Muiredach mac Loloig

Yers,

Gunthar