[Sca-cooks] apple pies

Nicolas Steenhout vavroom at bmee.net
Mon Sep 17 08:53:25 PDT 2001

>>Me, I make two very good apple pies.  One is
>>Tarte Tatin, an "upside down" kinda pie, where I put some sugar at the
>>bottom of the pan (no crust),
>>then half peeled apples, then more sugar, and I fit a
>>"cap" of (home made) puff pastry overit.  Bake.
>
>What temp and time? I guess just according to the
>puff pastry directions until browned?

Typically, F 450 until the puff pastry is done.  Forgot to mention I punch
a bunch of holes in the pastry before baking, so it doesn't actually puff
all the way!  You need a fairly hot oven, as you also want to caramelize
the sugar at the bottom of the pan, on the apples.

Muiredach mac Loloig
Rokkehealden Shire
aka
Nicolas Steenhout