[Sca-cooks] apple pies

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Sep 17 08:55:02 PDT 2001

Nicolas Steenhout wrote:

>>> Me, I make two very good apple pies.  One is
>>> Tarte Tatin, an "upside down" kinda pie, where I put some sugar at the
>>> bottom of the pan (no crust),
>>> then half peeled apples, then more sugar, and I fit a
>>> "cap" of (home made) puff pastry overit.  Bake.
>>

>> What temp and time? I guess just according to the
>> puff pastry directions until browned?
>

> Typically, F 450 until the puff pastry is done.  Forgot to mention I punch
> a bunch of holes in the pastry before baking, so it doesn't actually puff
> all the way!  You need a fairly hot oven, as you also want to caramelize
> the sugar at the bottom of the pan, on the apples.

The version I was taught involves baking it in a large, oven-safe sautee
pan, and beginning it on the rangetop until the sugar smells like
caramel, then finishing in the oven. I also normally use shortcrust pastry.

Gunthar, you definitely want to make this one, you old creme-fraiche
addict, you.

Adamantius
--
Phil & Susan Troy