[Sca-cooks] apple pies

Nicolas Steenhout vavroom at bmee.net
Mon Sep 17 09:18:21 PDT 2001

>The version [of Tarte Tatin] I was taught involves baking it in a large,
>oven-safe sautee
>pan, and beginning it on the rangetop until the sugar smells like
>caramel, then finishing in the oven. I also normally use shortcrust pastry.

Yeah, that works too.  I've been successful without doing the stove top
first, and I find it gives a different character to the pie.  The caramel
formed is much less crisp both in taste and texture.  The juice of the
apples mixes in, giving a smoother caramel.  Then again, stove topping it
first gives a nice crunchy feel to it.

Shortcrust is an alternative.  I think there's always been an argument
between which of shortcrust or puff should be used.  I do both, but prefer
puff (pastry that is).

>Gunthar, you definitely want to make this one, you old creme-fraiche
>addict, you.

Ohhh yeah, Tarte Tatin and creme fraiche, a match made in heaven!

Muiredach mac Loloig
Rokkehealden Shire
aka
Nicolas Steenhout