[Sca-cooks] chili peppers

Pixel, Goddess and Queen pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com
Mon Sep 17 13:21:02 PDT 2001

On Mon, 17 Sep 2001, Mark.S Harris wrote:

> Margaret replied to me with:
> > > Yep. I didn't think chilis would grow that far north.
> > >
> > > Maybe you should have put it in a pot so you could bring it inside.
> >
> > We do actually have a growing season up here, you know. It's not like it's
> > the polar ice caps, after all. ;-)
> >
> > The pots are full of basil at the moment. It seemed like the thing to do
> > at the time--besides, I have no good cat-safe place for a potted plant of
> > any sort. I can't have any plants inside--the little furry demons consider
> > anything green in a pot as salad. Even miniature roses--you'd think the
> > thorns would be a detriment.
>
> You still have time to get some more pots. Or would the grown pepper
> plants not transplant well?

They'd probably transplant, but then there's that minor issue of no place
in my house to put them that is safe.

> As for the cats disturbing the pepper plants, at least eating them,
> that might be self-solving after they eat one of them. You did say
> that you expected these peppers to be hot. But then someone on this
> list mentioned feeding their cat hot curry when the cat got too
> curious and found that the cat liked it.

The larger and less intelligent of the two has, so far, exhibited no
active dislikes of hot peppers. She's eaten my Thai leftovers in the past,
for instance. The smaller and infinitely cleverer of the two (who doesn't
eat people food unless it's yogurt, fish, or popsicles) would eat all
the leaves, dig in the potting medium, and probably knock the plants
over. And then throw up the half-digested leaves on the carpet.

I could potentially relocate them to the bf's house, as he has no pets and
more sunny windows. Hmmm. A project for this weekend, maybe.

Margaret