[Sca-cooks] Paschal Beets (and garlic!)

Pixel, Goddess and Queen pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com
Tue Sep 18 05:42:00 PDT 2001

On Mon, 17 Sep 2001, Mark.S Harris wrote:

> > Margaret, who makes 40-garlic chicken and flourless chocolate cake for her
> > Seders
>
> Certainly sounds better than beets. Is that 40 cloves? or 40 heads?
> And can you still taste the chicken?
>
> Stefan li Rous

Well, I started out with a standard 40-garlic chicken recipe, which calls
for cloves, and several heads of garlic. I don't remember how many I
actually put in--basically I put in as many as I'd peeled, having peeled
cloves until I was tired of it. I think the official designation was
"lots". Since the guests were all of the opinion that there can never be
too much garlic, this was not a problem.

I myself believe in everything in moderation, since I like to taste more
than just the garlic in my food, so I saved the garlic for the people who
really wanted it. And they put it on *everything*. Garlic on the
beans. Garlic on the potatoes. Garlic on the roasted vegetables (carrots
and parsnips). Garlic in the green salad (that was my husband, who doesn't
eat salad dressings). Garlic mashed onto the matzoh. Garlic on matzoh is
apparently, um, different.

Now, the garlic soup, that's different. Then, all you should be tasting is
garlic. For that matter, everyone in the house should be tasting
garlic. For about a week. ;-)

I'll post it when I find the one I typed up last month--I've got the wrist
braces on today, so typing is a little more awkward than usual.

Margaret FitzWilliam