[Sca-cooks] Garlic soup

Pixel, Goddess and Queen pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com
Mon Sep 24 10:36:19 PDT 2001

Well, dippy me, it's gone from my sent items. Drat.

Anyway. I'd mentioned this last week, now I'm sending it. It's a lovely
fall meal with bread and a green salad.

Garlic Soup More-or-less Provencal

n + 1 heads of garlic, where n is the number of people to be served
n cups of water or broth
4 or 6 or so cloves
a sprinkle of peppercorns
herbs to taste--I like rosemary, bay leaf, and thyme, herbes de provence
would probably work pretty well here
1 or 1/2 n eggs
3 T olive oil per egg
1 or 2 T lemon juice per egg

Peel garlic cloves and trim the stem ends off. [I suppose you could peel
them after you cook them, but you're going to have to peel and trim them
either way.] Simmer for at least 20 minutes in broth/water with spices and
herbs. When the garlic is soft, it needs to be pureed. You can either do
this in batches with a blender, or, my personal preference, just use a
handblender in the pot. You may want to remove the sprigs of herbs first.

Once the soup is pureed, in a blender (or a in a bowl with the
handblender), mix the egg and oil and lemon juice together until
frothy. Temper with a ladleful of the soup, then add the egg mixture to
the soup and bring to serving temperature. Correct seasonings and serve,
preferably with lots of good crusty bread. You can float croutons if you
like that sort of thing.

I once had a real recipe for this, eventually I just gave up and play it
by ear. Good for getting rid of colds, apparently, and also unwanted
attentions from loved ones--for about a week. This is the sort of thing
that if one person in the house eats it, *everyone* must have some. You
will smell of garlic for days.

Margaret