[Sca-cooks] OT Authenticity Police: since we're castigating extremists anyway...

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Tue Sep 18 10:58:00 PDT 2001

> Usually, these folks are asked questions, and when
> answering in a way that impresses periodness, people who don't care turn
> off.

You may mean 'emphasizes' not impresses.
However, someone may feel that they are answering in that way when the
person who asked the question feels flamed.

I have a friend who is very knowledgeable in costuming. She has a
wonderful trick for responding to questions about someone's garb. She
comments positively on it but then gives a suggestion about how it can be
more period and offers help/assistance/to show them a book if they are
interested in trying this the other way.

The key issues seem to be
- not coming across as putting the person down
- offering constructive feedback
- and offering assistance and resources.

I'm not very good at it myself, and I also admit that my costuming friend
can be very daunting sometimes.

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa