[Sca-cooks] OT Authenticity Police: since we're castigating extremists anyway...

Elaine Koogler ekoogler at chesapeake.net
Tue Sep 18 08:33:10 PDT 2001

Phillip and I saw that in The Washington Post, and wondered how long it would
take someone on this list to bring it up.

Unfortunately, at least here in Atlantia, they are quite common.  For example,
though I won't call names, I do know of one instance, some years back, where a
peer, both Royal and otherwise, brought a dance group down to the area where I
live to do a demo at a local celebration, Cavalier Days.  There was, at the
time, a Medieval club at the local high school, and they decided, along with
their  faculty sponsor, to come to this celebration in garb.  This charming
person decided that their attempts didn't quite come up to her standards, and
she told them so, in no uncertain terms.  Her behavior is one of the hurdles
we've had to overcome in getting sites and participation from the local
people!  I also have, personally, had newbies come crying to me on several
occasions because some unthinking, rude person has told them that some part of
their garb wasn't period.  My usual response is, "Tell that person that their
saying that something isn't period isn't period!!"

So yes, Adamantius, there are people out there like that.  We all had a good
laugh about it some years back when a group of actors put on a play at Pennsic
that had a character called "Mistress Laurel Seamchecker", who lived up to her
name.  And, best of all, during my vigil, I was asked, jokingly, if I knew
what the secret handshake of the Laurels is?  All of this is done in good fun,
but, unfortunately, there is a basis in fact.

Kiri