[Sca-cooks] OT Authenticity Police: since we're castigating extremists anyway...

Hrolf Douglasson Hrolf at btinternet.com
Tue Sep 18 10:54:59 PDT 2001

I had a lovely  moment when someone critasized a colour I was wearing... A
true madder red. And they were V. rude about it.( Had to be chemical...you'd
never get that colour originally...you know the sort of thing)
Only to have it pointed out by someone else that we had dyed the wool
ourselves with madder on site authentically. And the look on the face was
priceless. What goes around ceratinly did....The critisior is no longer in
Regia.
But on a more serious note. In regia we have to be strict as we are a
re-enactment society, rather than a recreation society.
The secret is we HELP people get their first kit together and help the shop
for material. Education and information does not reduce the more you hand it
round but does go stale if kept to oneself. Our shoppng trips to the local
cloth market are the stuff os ledgends. Linen at £2 meter (on a good day)
Thats about $3 for 39 inches to you lot. Pure wool anwool/silk mixes at even
sillier prices. No wonder I take the trailer.
Vara