[Sca-cooks] OT Authenticity Police: since we're castigating extremists anyway...

Dunbar, Debra debra.dunbar at aspenpubl.com
Tue Sep 18 07:33:20 PDT 2001

> .
>
> I guess my question is, how much of the "authenticity police" issue is
> just
> about plain bad manners.

	I'd guess 99% of the complaints are in relation to the "rudeness" of
the remarks.  I think timing is everything.  Yep, telling a "newbie" who is
halfway done with a bodice that it isn't period is crushingly mean and rude.
Now, admiring their work and enthusiasm and offering to help them make their
next outfit, is wonderful.  Sometimes people are looking for a critique and
want to know before starting a year long needlework project if it is
"period" or not.  Knowing when to offer this criticism, and knowing when to
gently encourage continued exploration; being willing to teach and show,
rather than just tell someone their work is "wrong".  Now those are peer
qualities in my book!

	Wrynne (QOC, you know.  Please wipe your hands on the table cloth)