[Sca-cooks] comparisons (was Rest of World)

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Sep 18 11:03:06 PDT 2001

Susan Fox-Davis wrote:
> Not knowing who Green Lantern is tantamount to not knowing Superman.  My
> goodness.

There was a time when it was determined that the three most famous
fictional characters, known virtually everywhere on the planet, in the
history of the world (to date) were Superman, Tarzan, and Sherlock
Holmes. I don't know if this is still true (if indeed it ever was), but
I would suspect that the difference between Superman and GL is that if
you don't go looking for such things, you're stilll going to run across
Superman; he's part of our mainstream culture to a greater extent than
GL's role in science-fiction and fantasy circles. More's the pity. How
can you not love a character whose superhuman abilities are his will
power and imagination? He's even kewler than... DALE CARNEGIE! Possibly
even kewler than NORMAN VINCENT PEALE!!!

Adamantius (even though Iron Man is kewler than any of them)