[Sca-cooks] Galangal

Craig Jones. craig.jones at airservices.gov.au
Tue Sep 18 15:34:13 PDT 2001

""
""So.... Panang Nua.  It's the best.

Nope.  Sorry.  For me it has to be Som Tam (Green Papaya Salad) with
Gai Yung (Charcoal Roasted Chicken - usually a thigh joint splinted
with bamboo)

""If you like things that are less sweet, a good appetizer is Larb.
It's a
""diced meat (usually chicken?) dish seasoned with spices and lime
juice -- a
""little sour, a little hot, very good.

I thought Laab was traditionally mined meat (usually pork).  Up the
hills, some of the hill tribes (hmong I think) eat Laab with the pork
uncooked, relying on the lemon/lime juice to cook the meat (like
cerviche).  I have no idea (before someone asks) on whether the
Trichinosis infection rate in those areas is higher than average...

Cheers,

Drakey. (who spent 3 years at the International School Bangkok)

""
""Sca-cooks mailing list
""Sca-cooks at ansteorra.org